Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Homemade Cranberry Sauce

When I entertain for holidays, especially the one that revolve mostly around  the traditional foods we all love- I try and go the homemade route. Not tricky, fancy homemade but simple and good homemade.  Your guests will notice the extra effort and will enjoy that special touch that you bring to the table.  

I stumbled upon a homemade cranberry sauce recipe and my mom says, "It doesn't even compare to the canned version!  In a good way that is, dear."  So after I tried it earlier this week,  I decided to make another batch to bring to Thanksgiving tomorrow.  It is cooling on the counter as we speak.  

Here's what you need:
  • 1 bag (12 ounces) cranberries
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
  • 1 cup water


Rinse the cranberries.  I love the color of cranberry- even my nails are cranberry!

In a medium saucepan, combine cranberries, sugar, lemon zest, and water; bring to a boil

Reduce to a simmer; cook until cranberries are soft, about 10 minutes.  At this point, I use a wooden spoon to kind of mash them against the pot. It creates a thicker consistency but less chunky.  

My adorable little helper, Kira!

Transfer to a bowl, and let cool to room temperature.

If you are entertaining for Thanksgiving tomorrow, be sure to pick up some cranberries and try this easy, yet delicious homemade cranberry sauce recipe!

It's also great for the Christmas season! Trust me, your guests will not be disappointed!




No comments:

Post a Comment